Monday, August 25, 2008

And now some closing statements about the Olympics

  • Spain made it a game in the men's basketball final against Team USA. Too bad I couldn't watch it with some good commentators on the line... On the Netherlands channel you've got self-proclaimed basketball guru Mart Smeets (I mean, I know you've played ball, and you probably know more about the game than the average joe, but you don't have to lay it down so thick. That's very condescending. And any run-the-mill American newscaster will blow you out of the water, by the way...), and on the Belgian channel they were quite biased against the Americans (I mean, sure they're arrogant, but at least make some effort to stay a more or less neutral journalist...) I can't judge the German, French, Spanish and Italian channels, because frankly they speak to fast for me to understand.
  • So you think that human rights are violated in China? Or that Tibet should be free? Of course, all very important. And probably something to put on someone's agenda. But let me ask you... if you are invited to someone's home do you immediately go out of your way to insult the host? Dare I remind you you're talking to Chinese?
  • Race walking is NOT A SPORT, people. It doesn't even qualify as an art. It looks insipid, it has no practical value, and what are the viewing numbers? Frankly I find it completely ridiculous that it is considered Olympic, when the IOC cut baseball and softball from the list.
  • Is it a coincidence that the Russians pulled out from Georgia at the end of the Olympics? I can just imagine what the Russian athletes would say, when they get back to Moscow... "You did what!!?"
  • The Netherlands women's hockey team should have a sequel to their 2006 DVD documentary "GOUD". It should have more close-up shots of Fatima, and Naomi, and Ellen, and Eefke, and Maartje P., and Eva training... however I can do without the passive aggressive shite of the first DVD. I can also do without the Dr. Phil sessions, the righteous indignation of coach Marc Lammers, and that silly mouth guard of Maartje Goderie. Nobody's buying that fake slit. Especially if you're built like a twig.
  • Merel Witteveen has the most dreamy bedroom eyes I have ever seen on pretty much anyone.
  • And while this has been going on, football season is starting! Hooray!

No comments: