Saturday, June 27, 2009

Death of an Icon

...and it's not Michael Jackson I'm talking about, although it does have something to do with him.

The first news I heard was when I casually passed by CNN, and saw the breaking news header. Still at that point it read stuff like "cardiac arrest" and "in a coma". Entertainment sites, Twitter, had at that point already reported Jackson's death. Now normally I take news from gossip sites not as seriously as straight news, but this had me worried. Basically a very big number of sources knew something CNN didn't (or maybe didn't want to confirm yet).

Once the L.A. Times got on the globe, CNN had to follow along. By that time they were already too late. They were late to the party, and everybody already left.

CNN... poor poor CNN. Either you didn't want to act on rumours, and ended up missing the boat; or you didn't have your reporters in the right place, at the right time. Either way... CNN as the leading channel for news? I don't think that's the case anymore.

No comments: