Sunday, June 06, 2010

Art is Confidence

The great works of art we are all in agreement with. The Mona Lisa, the Nachtwacht, Sistine Chapel. However whatever gets called art, and whatever's called a doodle, is a matter of serious discussion. A drawing my little sister makes is not considered art, until she either gets really, really famous, or until she exhibits it and tells all the critics that it is indeed art.

I've seen works of modern art that I could still conceivably make. And my skills as an artist are about as good as my basketball game... way short. However artists have to grow an ability to tell the world that their work is worth it. An artist needs confidence to convince the literati that his work has some thought behind it... even though it's just five paint strokes in three different colours.

No comments: