Friday, October 21, 2005

2005 World Series

The World Series start tomorrow, featuring the Chicago White Sox and the Houston Astros. It's not going to be something I'll watch on television live (Frankly I still cannot be bothered to watch grown men stand still on a field from pitch to pitch for three hours straight), but the World Series is something special so I will follow the highlights over at SI.com and MLB.com.

Anyway, who do I like winning it all...
The White Sox got Freddy Garcia, who used to be a Mariner (All Hail Seattle!), and I hope to see him do well during the series.
Chicago also has a tragic history not unlike the Red Sox last year for not winning a World Series since the 1910s.
I like both teams' pitching (Roy Oswalt, Andy Pettitte, Roger Clemens for Houston; Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland, Garcia, and Jose Contreras for Chicago), and I can't really name a clear favorite there.

I am under the impression the Astros would look better as World Series champs, but the White Sox look a bit stronger (and more rested) from the outset. So right now I'd say Chicago in six.

Just to set the stage... this is how SI.com depicted it:

At U.S. Cellular Field, rain started falling in the middle of Thursday's workout. There were 14 boxes of baseballs on the table, ready for each player to sign. The logos already were painted in foul territory, and the entrance to the ballpark displayed a pumpkin carved with the White Sox logo.

Outside was a huge photograph of White Sox players celebrating. On it were the words: "Crying in baseball -- only acceptable if champagne burns your eyes."

No comments: