Friday, May 19, 2006

Sick and tired

I usually associate hospitals with old people. They've been around longer, so they would have a higher risk that something medical happens to them.

But in the oncology department it's baffling that you see people from all walks of life, in all stages of life. Young people, tweens who are supposed to be enjoying the best years of their lives are just as present here as retirees and grand parents. I'm sure I've seen some semi-famous politician in there as well.

Some are under obvious chemo, others you would not notice or suspect they are. And when I'm sitting there in the waiting room, my mind can't help but wonder how they ended up here. How long ago? How serious? Were they shocked when they found out?

And yet I never get to know completely. Some of them might surrender some information, but it's rather circumstantial. Of course, you can't just ask bluntly.

It just goes to show:
  • cancer comes in all shapes and sizes
  • it makes no distinctions
  • and for each his/her own

No comments: