Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Observations from a self-learner course

I've got this Spanish-English course here, a set of audio CDs that basically keeps repeating the same conversations over and over again until you get the hang of it. For me repetition is a good way of learning stuff, especially if I'm doing other things at the side (like in this case, driving). Focus is a funny thing. I focus better when I'm not focusing at all.

Anyway, I just realized the absurd background of my course. It's about two business people going to a seminar in Spain, and asking for their rental car, their flight, their itinerary etc. The guy person asks for all the transport stuff, but the woman colleague is all over the sleeping arrangements. She wants one room for the both of them, a kingsize double bed, for several nights. In fact she corrects the poor hotel desk clerk for messing up the original reservation. The man and the woman have different surnames, so I guess they are not related.

Which leads me to believe:
  • these two colleagues are bumping uglies at the seminar
  • they made reservations separately not to draw any suspicion, and then changed the reservations afterwards
It's either that, or I truly don't understand a word of Spanish, and I'm imagining things.

No comments: