Sunday, July 08, 2007

Personal Investment

Sometimes things just end. Shows get pulled, companies go bankrupt, wars are lost, people get dead. We are forced to deal with each instance in the best way possible. Often this is directly linked to how much we've invested in someone or something.

For example, I invested a lot of time into pro wrestling. I know and follow the characters, the storylines and am quite up to date with what's going on at each show. These people are real people with their own set of problems and demons. Sometimes one of them just doesn't make it and dies. Sometimes it's unfortunate, other times is downright tragic. It is always however a point of note. Bear in mind, other than being a fan, I have little to no interaction with any wrestler.

Now the other day a message arrived in my inbox, informing me one of my old colleagues from several years ago died. I know the name, probably spoke to him once or twice, and I've likely seen him at a reunion a couple of weeks ago. But I've never worked with him before, and come to think of it, it's rather hard for me to picture his face. So my most immediate reaction was... a shrug.

The difference here is personal investment. I have very little invested in a relationship with this guy, even though objectively he is closer to me than any athlete across the Atlantic. If I invest little, the loss is limited. If I think I can weather the loss of investment, I don't feel bad or worse.

It's a real shitty attitude I realize. But unfortunately it's one that hits closer to home than most people will admit.

No comments: