Monday, October 22, 2007

The HHG: World Series

World Series 2007: Colorado Rockies vs. Boston Red Sox... who'd have thunk it? Not me. It took me six seasons to get a Rockies team good enough to make the World Series, and that was in a video game. And the Sox are little by little building their own dynasty over the remains of a once potent curse.

Heart: Kinda feeling it for the Rockies. The only team I enjoy more is from Seattle, and they gave away their good players a long time ago. So I now make do with the Todd Heltons, Matt Hollidays and Jeff Francisses of this world. They're due for some success too, after season after season of crap.

Head: How long can it last? The Rox won an unprecedented 21 out of the last 22, and swept two division winners to reach the World Series. Even if they are swept in the Series, they will still have a statistically impressive last month and a half... and I'm actually counting on statistics to put Colorado back in its place. More numbers? Boston's payroll is over $ 140 million, which includes Manny Ramirez, David Ortiz, JD Drew, Curt Schilling, Josh Beckett and a certain Japanese pitcher nicknamed Dice-K (for whom the Sox paid $ 50 million just to talk to him). Colorado's payroll is $ 54 million.

Gut: Can the Red Sox do it all again? On paper they've got more of the marquee players, while the Rockies are hitting and fielding their way into the limelight. I know the Rockies can do it (I certainly played enough seasons of video game ball to prove it), but in the real world I don't see a Cinderella story coming up... the ship will right itself and the Red Sox will win, taking away just enough of the attention away from Tom Brady and the New England Patriots for them to quietly reach an unbeaten season... oops spoiled it.

1 comment:

Sidney Kwee said...

And now I made it to 9-2. Now, if I get the balls to actually put money where my mouth is...