Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Some random observations from the City

  • Why is there this obsession with being on guestlists? It doesn't help (much), all it does is anger the bouncer (because he has to look up your name in the list, which means: more work), and frankly guestlists don't help keeping legit customers in and bums out. Eventually anyone who pays, gets in. The only thing that really works, is if the bouncer knows YOU.
  • Most of the hip places in the City are so hip, they don't advertise. Their name doesn't appear anywhere on the building. There are no flyers. There's only a crowd, music, and two half-naked models in the doorway. Too bad it's an Abercrombie & Fitch store.
  • So that's where they keep all the hot stewardesses.
  • Truest thing I've heard all week is from a guy, who doesn't have e-mail, doesn't own a computer, and has the simplest and most basic of mobile phones. All his relationship-building is via letter, or postcard. And nothing works better. Just the right amount of attention, timeliness and prioritization.
  • Well, I guess English (-like) is spoken 90 percent of the time, but there's a strong Spanish community in the City as well. And I'm pretty sure I heard Japanese, Russian, Chinese, Italian and Portuguese. But I'm quite surprised I kept meeting people at least once every single day, who spoke Dutch.
  • Seriously. If you're going to look like that in my home as well, I'm buying every single bottle of Baileys in your display.
  • Is the City a good place to have children? It's a bit crowded I think, but more to the point, it tends to go back to what your ideal picture of growing up is. If you feel that children should have room to play around, in a safe and easy-going environment, I don't think the City is where you should be at. If you think children should be able to enjoy the richness of what the City has to offer in terms of culture, sports, sights and sounds, than you're not so bad off.

No comments: