Sunday, October 18, 2009

What makes an on-line game successful

Developers take note: Successful online gaming means that you have to adhere to the following rules:
  • make your connectivity code flawless. It already takes a long time to find a game you can play online. When you finally find one, you don't want it bogged down by buggy, laggy, shitty code. I hated Little Big Planet's online features because the connection time was soooo looong. It almost looked (and in fact it was) as if the PS froze. And even when it did come on, the connection nearly always failed, so I ended up playing on my own anyway. In other words, if my first online game isn't running well within the first five minutes, I quit and never come back.
  • don't endlessly look for players. Give me feedback as quickly as possible what you found. Keep looking in the background, but at least give me the opportunity to do something else, like skip back a few screens, or customize my player or something. SFIV is very quick in looking for players, which is great, and also gives me feedback very quickly. I don't mind if it doesn't find me a game to play. Again LBP did it wrong. When it is looking for players, the game is basically off-limits. You can't cancel, and you have to wait for a frickin' timeout.
I think the Uncharted 2 multiplayer option is great. You're into the game quickly, it gives you constant feedback, connectivity has never frozen on me, or broke down, and I have the option of cancelling if I find I have other things to do. And the game is pretty funny to boot. (That, or one of the players was really discussing his hemorrhoid medicine with his pharmacist while he was playing.)

No comments: