Sunday, December 05, 2010

The Music of 2010

This year social media is truly taking over music. Vidzone, Spotify, Soundhound, Shazam, iTunes, Pandora, Last.FM are transforming the way we discover and listen to music. FM is no longer cool, streaming music over WIFI and through your cellphone is where it's at.

Now this year I'm listening to a varied bunch of tracks. I'm clubbing to urban music (Rihanna, Usher, Flo Rida), rediscovering rock from early to mid last decade (Saliva, Enter Shikari, Bullet For My Valentine), moving to contemporary dance (Ricky L, Yolanda B Cool, Fake Blood). And I have developed an appreciation for world music (Kassav', Malu, Mehad Hamed).

And you really can't get around Katy Perry this year. In some shape or form she's always on the radio this year. Same can be said about Lady Gaga, and Kesha (although the latter in negative connotations). Then there's this rotation of smooth black artists, from Usher, to B.O.B., Jason Derulo, and Flo Rida, who take up the rest of the air time.

I also greatly enjoyed several albums, which as convention I get from iTunes. I don't miss having a physical CD and box, and it saves me a lot of storage space. Now I just have to keep my iPods somewhere. Do You Want The Truth Or Something Beautiful (Paloma Faith), and Deleted Scenes From The Cutting Room Floor (Caro Emerald) are absolutely fantastic, and in a pinch I enjoy Bells (Laura Jansen) and Balloon Over Paris (Elske DeWall) quite a bit as well.

The top 10 tracks this year are extremely hard to qualify. Especially since I've been rediscovering songs from all over and across all decades, not just 2010. I have to limit them somehow, so only songs with regular popular airplay in the past 12 months (give or take) are eligible.
  1. The Heavy - How You Like Me Now
  2. Band Of Skulls - I Know What I Am
  3. Eminem - Not Afraid
  4. Robbie Williams & Gary Barlow - Shame
  5. John Legend, The Roots, Common & Melanie Fiona - Wake Up Everybody
  6. Eliza Doolittle - Pack up
  7. Eminem ft Rihanna - I Love The Way You Lie
  8. Aloe Blacc - I Need A Dollar
  9. B.O.B. ft Hayley Williams - Airplanes
  10. Hurts - Wonderful Life
Funny how the top two tracks are prominently featured on MLB 10: The Show.

Honorable mentions: Jurk! - Zou Zo Graag (twee armen vinden, die me lang en lief omhelzen zouden), Undisclosed Desires, I Made It, Little Boots and Lady Antebellum. Also the Black Eyed Peas, but for all the wrong reasons.

Album Du Jour: already the early favorite to album of the year for 2011, 21 from Adele.

No comments: