Monday, September 25, 2006

General admission

Now pay attention, because this doesn't tend to happen a lot... but I'll admit something bad about myself today.

My biggest character failing is that I expect everyone whom I deal with to play according to the (i.e. my) rules. And for whatever reason, be it insight, perspective, opinion, belief, intelligence etc., that is not realistic to expect. Most of my time is spent on convincing people to see my way.

Actually I don't want to spend that time at all, and just assume people to go along with me as-is. The nastiest thing is that I act/am insulted when people act irrationally... according to my logic. Realistically, I can't ever expect anyone to be just as rational as me from the get-go.

So despite this, why do I keep holding these expectations? Why is it so important that people see things my way, without me having to convince them? How can I be so sure of myself that my way is the best way, and my way should be self-evident for everyone?

The English language has words for this:
  • arrogant
  • stubborn
  • short-sighted
  • fundamentalist

1 comment:

OJ said...

I would add "human" to the list... I was thinking about this subject last week (before reading your post) and concluded that everybody has this 'lack'. However, some people are more consistent with this lack than others.
I always try to stay open for discussion, but have a big fear of loosing that characteristic in time. When people get older they get more convinced of their own opinion and are less open for other opinions.
And although I don't see you that much I don't believe you're a stubborn guy! :) And hey, wouldn't it be very very (etc) boring when everybody would agree with you???