Friday, October 20, 2006

Goodbye And Again

Lately it seems that job hopping is back in vogue. Several colleagues, people I see at work, move on. Sometimes it's for the better, sometimes it's forced, but it's always a moment of reflection.

Thing is, the departures of people I see and speak to on a somewhat regular basis obviously draw my attention, but I'm also forced to acknowledge the departures of people that I don't even know. Money is collected for the leaving parties, drinks are passed around, stories are told to anyone within a ten mile radius. Why, I can't even fathom. Even worse, I can't imagine why suddenly I should start caring.

Of course, if you're anything like a nice person, you go along. Also opportunities for drinking are always appreciated.

Now the opposite end of the spectrum is trying to deny the existence of people leaving completely. Co-workers don't leave, they disappear. At best you find out months later that people that you need advise from, or would like to know where they hang out, aren't where you expect them to be anymore.

The shitty thing is that you know people are gone, or going away. Not acknowledging that doesn't make those facts more untrue. And if you're anyway inclined to think in terms of conspiracies (like me) you lose trust in your working environment.

I hope things eventually even out, regardless of corporate culture. Forcing people to acknowledge someone's departure, or hiding it from plain sight; either way it's insulting.

No comments: