Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Deathly lack of inspiration

I've always found it pretty hard to write something in letters, or cards, for birthdays, for moves, for weddings. I'm not a poet, and although I'm sometimes able to get something nice on paper, it's rarely something that's more than three or four lines. It's also quite inconsistent.

Now imagine having to write something for a serious occasion (say, condolences) for someone you don't really know that well. Do you...
  1. jot down a short formal sentence or even a word
  2. scribble down a personal story and a wish, possibly taking more space than you actually have on the card
  3. write a cliche down from the list as described here
On the one hand I've never been one to write down something that's already been written, and I'm at least trying to stand out a little. But maybe in this case, that's not the goal here. On the other hand I'm also trying to capture the core of the message in as little words as possible.

So... ehm... it's probably best for the future, don't mind my condolences much alright. Just know, I support you, I feel for you, and I hope you get back up if you're down. Just don't expect any wonderful eulogies from me.

1 comment:

OJ said...

You've summarized it perfectly in the last sentences... It's about feelings. To my opinion a 'story' or a few lines of text on a condolence card need to express your sympathy, grieve and emotions over the whole situation and should not be a mandatory 'original' thought-up message...
If you feel what you should write, just write it down. If you can't find the words, write that down or just your name. Just as long as what you write is true (of course with a certain limit ;) and comes from the heart.

But I hope this is just an example and doesn't apply right now... ?