Friday, March 09, 2007

I hate my trip computer

Having a trip computer in my car is something of a new thing for me... and it's pissing me off. Mostly because I am now forced to face the cold, hard truth about my driving... it's just not very nice.

According to the car maker's manual, my Golf is supposed to drive 6.4 l/100 km in general use (mixed freeway, inner city driving), or 15 km to 1. I drive on average (after about a month of relatively incident free driving), 7.4 l/100 km, or 15 percent less efficient than the car could potentially drive.

However I must say that my Golf can only make 6.4 in case:
  • there's little traffic (try that on a normal working day)
  • average speed is about 10 km/h less than the legal speed limit
  • you pull up really slowly (as in geriatric mode) from traffic lights
Coupled with two inner city speed traps, this makes the most disconcerting month of car driving I've had in some time.

Oh well, at least the radio is still intact.

No comments: