Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Time spent at work

Contractually I'm obliged to work 40 hours a week, save holidays. I also have 26 free days. In 2006 this amounts to a grand total of 2.069 hours I am paid to work for.

Now, I've been keeping track how much time I spend at work. I note when I arrive at the office and am ready to actually do my work, and note when I leave. Generally I'm accurate to about five minutes in this. Of course this time also includes non-productive things like coffee rounds, smoking breaks, and lunch, so I'll take into account an extra hour per day.

I summed up the numbers and I spent the grand total of 2.122 hours at work in the calendar year 2006. This amounts to seven working days of difference across the whole year. Four can be attributed to me taking up less vacation than I have allocated (23 instead of 26). That leaves three days I am at work more than contractually agreed.

Considering some of my colleagues work nights (at least according to their e-mail sending times) I'm actually not that bad. At least, if you happen to think half a week of unpaid work is not bad.

No comments: