Tuesday, May 20, 2008

HHG: Champions League Final 2008

The Game: Manchester United vs. Chelsea
The Prize: The UEFA Champions League Trophy, and title of European Club Champion in soccer.

The Heart says: Manchester United; It was an emotional moment back in 1999 when the Mancunians defeated Bayern Munich in stoppage time to win the Champions League. They were pretty much down for the entire game and were seconds away from losing, when Teddy Sheringham and Ole Solskjaer scored the goals that put United in the winner's circle. While I don't see a similar rollercoaster of emotions occurring this time around, the team I feel the most for, is the one from Manchester. It will be Ryan Giggs' record breaking game (most appearances for United). It will be Edwin van der Sar's final big prize (I don't see Holland winning Euro 2008) before retirement. It will cap off a great double season for ManU, who have already pipped Chelsea to the Premiership title.

The Head says: eh... Slightly over a month ago Chelsea almost brought Manchester United down in the race for the Premiership, by defeating them and closing the gap in the league table. That could be the memory for the Blues to hold on to. They have to my account the better team, that should see them through in spite of the injuries to captain John Terry and attacking leader Didier Drogba. Frank Lampard might be able to help Chelsea to offset the individual brilliance of Cristiano Ronaldo and sheer tenacity of Wayne Rooney. I'm leaning towards a tie, but having to pick one, I would have to say Chelsea.

The Gut says: This time I go for the heart. I'm pretty sure I don't get to see the game (unless they have a television connection in office), and I'm pretty sure I don't want to see Gary Neville's skinny arms holding any kind of trophy... but I feel Manchester has fewer problems heading into the game than Chelsea, less injuries and more peace of mind. Chelsea I feel has more to lose, having finally made it to the big dance without Jose Mourinho, and now they HAVE to win to prove their former manager wrong.

Man United - Chelsea 2-1

1 comment:

Sidney Kwee said...

YESYESYESYES

New lifetime record: 10-3