Saturday, April 04, 2009

Adaptability

I've always taken great pride in being able to relate to a great number of people on an individual level. Not just relate actually... also adapt to someone's personality. It does make me very easy to approach, but also very hard to understand. See, you can't really know how my demeanor is going to turn out. Some basic mannerisms will be the same, but beyond that it's going to be a crapshoot. How I will act around a person, or a group, depends on the social context, the relationships, the hierarchy, the topic, the time of day, my mood, whether or not Ajax won last weekend... the list goes on and on.

So in a sense, adaptable behaviour is not the best desirable trait. Could be good for actors, profilers, mentalists and hustlers; but for someone in a seat of power or reponsibility it may not work out as well.

No comments: