Saturday, November 26, 2005

The Ice Age Cometh ...or is it?

So far this year we've had earthquakes (Pakistan), hurricanes in combination with floods (US, Caribbean), snowstorms (Europe). Every media outlet is talking about how the climate is changing and that by the time my generation gets into retirement the Western Europe will be under the sea, Africa will see snow and South-East Asia will turn into desert or something like that. And as far as I hear from our local weather services we've not had extreme weather conditions like they have occurred this year. flash thunderstorms and like yesterday freak snow storms as well.

Unfortunately my memory doesn't serve me well these days, so I don't remember how things were when I was a kid and running around on a icy pond. But wasn't the weather cold then as well? I appreciate the time of year and the weather type to be a bit mixed up, and let me be the first to admit that I don't have some centuries' worth of climatological data in my back pocket. But still I can't help but think it's been this way forever. To me, the weather I - we - just have to deal with. No climatological convention, no kind of media coverage can stop what are aeons of planetary aging.

Kind of makes talking about the weather to strangers more significant...

No comments: