Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Why having a car in Amsterdam is silly

Parking in Amsterdam is hideously expensive. I can rent a place in the city for the amount of money I spend each month. And I wouldn't have to go through traffic every day.

I also can't make heads or tails of the city's roadmap. One minute I'm driving along a nice, wide two-lane high street; the next I have to squeeze my car inbetween the buildings and the waterways. The S1xx indicators make absolutely no sense to an outsider, and they seem to change into one another at random. Finally, street names actually disappear.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Driving in Amsterdam, an acquired taste.

I would most certainly agree with you, driving in Amsterdam and parking for that matter is... well quite challenging.

Fact of the matter is that the Netherlands never put enough money into public transport, thus practically choking the cities with cars. As more cars drive through cities, crowding them, parking space almost naturally becomes a problem. Rotterdam doesn't have this problem, but then again, some quite skilled german blokes helped Rotterdam do some redecorating in the early 40's (OUCH)

Solutions are quite simple; skip the parking money and buy an appartment; stop using your car. Use public transport and start protest-rallies to sway the goverment to improve the quality. Get a job in Leeuwarden -> No traffic and lots of parking space.

Off course each and every alternative above is a little drastic. I think we're just all doomed to battle 1,5 hour traffic every morning, pay parking-space rent (and charge our boss with the cost) and keep whining about "other" bad drivers and parkers.

Good luck y'all,

Tau