Friday, January 20, 2006

An argument for prejudice

Back in the day I was a strong opponent of discrimination. I was all for equal rights for boys and girls, blacks, reds, yellows and whites, muslims, christians and hindus. I took everyone in stride and treated everyone equal. I don't do that anymore, because:
  1. for some reason people like you much more if you respect their individuality and culture
  2. it's boring to treat everyone the exact same way (can you imagine if everyone looked, spoke, and acted the same way all the time?)
  3. you cannot have favorites if you treat everyone the same
  4. it is a bloody tiring and time-consuming way of getting around: everyone needs to be properly addressed so you take more time to do so; and everybody has to have an equal amount of respect and so on.
This last point is actually the most important bit. People are inherently finite, both in time and knowledge, so there's no chance of actually getting everyone equal footing. Prejudice is apparently our way of overcoming our physical boundaries. We assume and make judgements based on what we feel, see and hear. Sometimes we go deeper into issues, but only if it concerns something we find valuable enough to spend more time on. Otherwise we just have to take what we're given.

I am a firm believer of making sure the limited time you're given by your audience should be spent wisely and on positive impressions. However I also realize that everyone and everything is more than just what's on the surface. I may have not the time or energy to dig deep all the time, but I will respect the idea that there's something deeper, more valuable in everyone.

Welcome to the age of the prejudiced. Join me, the water's warm.

No comments: