Thursday, June 01, 2006

The Eye of the Beholder

I don't agree with the notion that people get more peaceful and calm as they get older. Instead people seem to be getting shorter fuses. They may not explode with as much force and intensity, but they burn a great deal more often.

People also get angrier about more meaningless things as time goes on. At first it's important stuff that upsets you (being discriminated against for example, is quite serious), but later on you might blow up just because your neighbour's apple tree is hanging five centimeters over your hedge.

I thought that I would gain perspective as I grow older. I start out thinking and caring about kiddie stuff (like toys, crushes, school), and then I gain more and more experience in many different areas (responsibilities, love, jobs, traveling, success and failure) and start picking out the important things from the unimportant ones. Eventually I would get truly enlightened, and be able to differentiate significant from insignificant. I would know which things deserve my attention and which do not. I would know what I should be upset about and about what I shouldn't have to worry.

However, this is not reality unfortunately. People get angry about meanial, petty things, and sometimes they are even proud to admit it as well. At times they even have their priorities on backwards. I - for example - am extremely riled up about my 'limited' income. Yet in the grand scheme of things, the importance of my monthly salary ranks at about the same level as navel lint.

Depending on each one's perspective, meanial things can become quite important to the beholder. And that seemingly gives anyone the right to nag about them.

No comments: