Thursday, June 22, 2006

A wallet full of ambitions

Way back I measured success as being extremely, wealthy rich. I still want to do a lot to get there, but my ambitions have their limits I realize. They stretch to the point where I am still confident about myself, comfortable in my surroundings and challenged just enough to not get complacent.

I realize other people have different limits set, up to the point where they objectively go farther, harder and faster to their goals, and with more dedication. Or the other way around, people who have more modest goals, and thus spend less time and effort to achieve them.

The degree of success thus has another dimension; how much can you achieve, given the ambition level you have? I guess the more you get and the less effort you spend, the better off you are, and thus the more successful.

I fully adhere to the notion that you need to spend something to get something. There’s always a cost involved. You don’t get something for nothing.

Whatever you are spending, whatever you are willing to spend, is key here. You can trade sleep, free time, morals, ideals for achievement of your goals. Some are willing to spend less, others more.

People with lots of talent can be more efficient, than people with little. Your currency so to speak depends on how you define yourself as a person. I personally emphasize being able to justify my actions to myself. I can play politics, but I keep it business. I can spend lots of time at work, as much at least as my body will let me. I prefer to think on my own, and be creative, rather than being thought for. I give proper respect to people who’ve helped, and inspired me. I don’t tell everything, because to reach a goal I am fully aware that sometimes silence and ignorance are more constructive.

These are my ground rules. Within these boundaries I have my wallet so to speak.

No comments: