Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Best in Television for 2007

Television is still a big thing, although this year, more than most, it was more diversion and background (and occasionally a waking up moment) rather than the centerpiece of the day. Back when I was a kid, entire days were defined by whichever programme was on that afternoon or night. It could be the network premiere / rerun of a major motion picture, a cartoon series, or a football match. Now only a few things on telly catch my eye.

Number One is House, simply the best kick ass dialogue on television, for the third year running. And what's even more impressive is that it got even better in subsequent seasons: more biting snaps, more clever insults, more insane putbacks. They amped up the sexual tension, deepened the characters, and made the show almost the only must-see TV every week...

...the only programme coming close is Heroes. Already a cult net fave thanks to NBC.com by the time I got to it, Heroes was the most impressive first-year storyline for a drama series. And soon I will learn the ways of the Japanese, that's how awesome Hiro is.

Which brings me to a sidenote... it is not strange that television is getting creamed by internet thanks to the wonders of the downloadable episode. Now if we were just able to consistently spawn my IP address to match the US, I could actually use that feature, and save time. I could actually watch the shows whenever I want to. Instead of when some jerk in the network office thinks I should. Case in point: I hardly ever watch Game Kings, a TMF video game show, even though its own about five times a week. However Gametrailers.com shows GameHead and GameOne, and I watch those all the time.

Bones was pretty good still, but for some reason - once they messed up with the scheduling from Sundays to sometime during the week - I didn't follow it as thoroughly anymore... Same thing happened to My Name Is Earl.

Finally the final television highlight of the week is Top Gear. This year was obviously one of the more exciting ones, with Richard Hammond's brush with death, the Bugatti Veyron, more and more ludicrous challenges, and more laugh aloud jokes from Jeremy Clarkson and co. (line of the year has to be "Have you got pubes yet" to Lewis Hamilton)

Sad, so sad is the television's addiction to celebrity shite. The formula is simple. You put a C-list or at most B-list celebrity in an activity they shouldn't know about (ice skating if you're a singer, singing if you're a skater, ballroom dancer if you are a guy etc.), and then have people text the television network that they are doing badly or well. And the person with the least votes is booted off (not necessarily the worst one). And then they proceed to continue with this formula with ACTUAL, NO-NAME PEOPLE.

Come on guys... if you're going to continue like this, I will turn off the television and move to internet stuffs and DVDs permanently.

No comments: