Saturday, December 08, 2007

State of games in 2007

In the video game industry 2007 was a very important year, with the current generation consoles (360, PS3 and Wii) finally becoming commonplace, and several important titles released (BioShock, Assassin's Creed, Halo 3, Mass Effect, Call of Duty 4)... and yet I've never played as little games as this year. I could even say that amid the growth of the industry, the connection I feel with any games, is limited.

I only got myself one big name title this year, which was C&C3, and that was mainly to be able to finish the Tiberium saga. The game itself is decent, well balanced, but unfortunately a little to heavy for my computer. The acting is corny as always (although Jennifer "Dr. Cameron" Morrison takes the cake for looking both really intense and totally disinterested at the same time), and some plot holes still remain (why have the GDI reverted back from hover vehicles?). Still it was the highest profile title of the bunch, and the story is at least going forward again. Next year, bring on Kane's Wrath!

Surprisingly I played a lot of Rugby 08 this year, especially in the wake of the World Cup. Also I picked up Indycar Racing for a bargain, which I found pretty enjoyable, despite it wreaking havoc on my joypad (only left turns...). And I had the Brain Training sequel, which didn't really work out as well as I hoped.

In a sense, not having the latest gaming consoles distanced me from the game hype (Madden 08, Halo, Rock Band), although I have never before watched so much net-based videogame shows as this year. I still keep track of current issues, and it even got me started on the business side of things. The business is interesting, from the producing to marketing, the trade shows, the industry analysts, the mergers and acquisitions, and maybe, just maybe I should apply there. It would be a nice, big next career step.

No comments: