Sunday, December 02, 2007

I was looking for that

Some months ago I caught the middle part of a movie that had Ethan Hawke and some French chick talking in long, drawn out dialogues. With long, I mean loooooooong. One scene would last about ten minutes, walking around on the street, just bantering. Then the scene moved indoors, some cafe in Paris, and would CONTINUE.

Now you might think, this is a bad thing for a movie, but I actually managed to stick around for the scene, and in fact through nearly the rest. And it made me thinking... what movie is this?

I never got around to ask or check the name of the movie, and I even couldn't come up with Ethan Hawke at the time. But finally I got all the answers together, and I finally found what I was looking for... Before Sunset, by director Richard Linklater.

Why the movie is so captivating, is because of its premise. The idea that it is possible to meet your soulmate, and that you can, even for only a short amount of time, be together. And in fact get together again later on (Before Sunset is the follow-up to Before Sunrise, which is where the two characters first meet)...

So here's my vote for most impressive movie seen this year... and I didn't even see it completely... and it's not even a movie released this year... Before Sunset.

(No, Transformers is not my most impressive movie this year. It was fun, it had quite a few laughs. Megan Fox is grrrreat. And it had almost nothing to do with Transformers.)

No comments: