Thursday, December 03, 2009

2009 in Review: Video Games

The running theme of this year is waiting. All the proper games we want, such as Final Fantasy XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Diablo III, Bioshock 2, Bayonetta, StarCraft II, are all not coming this way until next year. The reasons for this are many and varied. Some games are still mired in development hell, others are scared of major competition, or the economic downturn, or the holiday season and Black Friday.

What we are left with this year are titles like Uncharted 2, Forza 3, New Super Mario Wii, Street Fighter IV, Resident Evil 5, The Sims 3, Killzone 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Dawn of War 2, Ratchet and Clank Future... sense a theme here?

And the one game everybody was afraid of, politicians for its controversial content, game publishers for its ability to completely drown out all other hype, gamers for its cost and lack of PC dedicated servers, Modern Warfare 2 did eventually end up to be the biggest release of the year. Why? I really couldn't tell you. But then again I'm not that big on FPS anyway.

Maybe this year's theme is the discussion about digital distribution. The DRM discusssion has been pulled to the background, replaced by publishers who now have to make the decision whether or not to leave retail channels behind. It's a big decision, because it fundamentally changes the playing field and turns it upside down. I've been buying more online than ever, and it pays off I must say. Retail channels actually have very little added value in this kind of market. The only problem is that I still need to be able to backup whatever I buy. I shouldn't need to buy a game I already bought again if my computer gives up the ghost (and that tends to happen a lot). Maybe cloud computing will help, but do I really want to be so reliant on the cloud?

Also: Windows 7 and the reboot of the PlayStation 3

Top 10 Games I played in 2009:
  1. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
  2. Killzone 2
  3. Warhammer 40.000: Dawn of War II
  4. Guitar Hero: Metallica
  5. UFC Undisputed 2009
  6. Street Fighter IV
  7. Red Alert 3 Uprising
  8. Batman Arkham Asylum
  9. inFamous
  10. LittleBigPlanet

No comments: