Sunday, December 20, 2009

Decade in Review: 2000s (Part 1)

The 2000s. The decade they don't have a good name for. The Noughties isn't it.

It's a long way since the year 2000, and frankly it's scary how far we've gone. It's scary how far I've gone. Ten years ago I was still in college, I was still on my first mobile phone, and IT still seemed like a good career. Since then I've been beat up, cut open, knocked out, heart broken, and flat out denied. I've also been recognized, celebrated, hired, promoted, and admired. I've fainted, blacked out and fallen down. I've also stood right back up, scaled heights I thought I would never scale, and put myself out there, which I'd never thought I'd do. Above all, I now have a bunch of stories to tell.

In ten years I've gone as far west as Vancouver and as far east as Tokyo. I've danced, and I've won. I've stood in front of my peers and I've entertained, I've sold, I've taught. I have responsibilities, I have a public role. I have a place in the world, which is my own.

I've also forgotten. Names, faces, people, places, events, initiatives. Sometimes even myself. This is tragic, because I promised myself I would never do that. And yet I have, just like hundreds of people I've met and spent time with in the past decade. This is not a consolation. Just an acknowledgement I'm no different, no stronger, no better than the rest.

(To Be Continued)

No comments: