Monday, December 21, 2009

Decade in Review: 2000s (Part 2)

Regarding the big picture, I'm thinking my fundamentals haven't changed a lot in the past ten years. How I used to think the big things in life work, I still think those hold true. I do believe I've gotten better in articulating and selling this in a socially acceptable manner. Also I have the experience, the resources and the status to do so. Unfortunately I also have a far bigger chip on my shoulder than before. I'm more jaded, more cynical.

If my fundamentals haven't changed, it also means my insecurities are the same. Most of the time I can hide these reasonably well, but occasionally they rear their ugly heads. I still think I need an excuse to do anything. But sometimes I have to force that excuse; usually that excuse doesn't appear on its own.

Work has become a big thing in this decade. From starting a career, to slugging through, to achieving success, to having an economic crisis and not knowing if the company as a whole will survive. As it stood, I was always going to end up with a job by the end of the decade. I just didn't know how far up I could go.

There's a distinct segregation between people at my company. I always end up working on a fine line between them, because my background would put me in one group, but I work in the other. It's fun to contrast our groups, and see what we can learn from each other. It's also fun to confront my colleagues with their own behavior, sometimes a little too much.

I've seen people at their best at work, I've seen them at their very worst. I understand the unique trait that my colleagues have, which makes them so good. In cases where most normal people would start panicking, my colleagues stay cool, take action and leadership, and you never think they are out of control. When they are at their very worst however, it's best to stay out of their way...

(To Be Continued)

No comments: