Sunday, February 26, 2006

Asia Boy Not Fit In Asian Party

Thanks to some strange karma I wound up at an Asian Party a couple of weeks ago. That was a strange sight. Outside of Hong Kong, Indonesia or a truly proper Oriental Restaurant I had never ever before seen so many Asian people in the same space. And I know of no other venue where I look and feel so out of place. That was really, truly uncomfortable.

I've been to other parties before (e.g. trance, rock, salsa) where one colour (e.g. white, black, latin/hispanic) is more predominantly present than the others. But none of them had the label 'Hispanic', 'Slavic', or in this case 'Asian'.

The very fact that there were hundreds of people in that party baffles me. It is a success that I personally don't think is logical. It obviously answers to some kind of deep-felt need by Asians to go out with other Asians. But why would you call it 'Asian'? Considering the music that is run there, you could just as well go to any Urban party for the same effect. Just a bunch of wannabe niggaz, moving to the latest tracks of 50 Cent and P. Diddy.

No comments: