Friday, February 03, 2006

Failure of democracy

The Dutch government will send soldiers to Afghanistan. There are some right reasons for going there, but also some wrong ones. I'm all for fighting the battles that need to be fought, not necessarily just the ones that you can win; it being dangerous is not exactly a good argument for not going. But we need to gain something by going there, and that I'm not convinced of.

It's just like the changes to our health insurance system, taxes, speed limits... I didn't request my government to take care of that and yet they did. I tried to vote in another party to government because they could do the stuff that I find important (and more important they don't do stuff that's not good for me). I choose to be in a country where Balkenende is NOT my PM, and yet here he is, messing up my good mood.

It would be so much better if people actually got what they voted for. Maybe if the Netherlands weren't a mature nation, where everybody has needs and wants to be taken care of, the government's time and energy wouldn't have been split across too many meaningless things and it could concentrate on the important stuff...

Sending soldiers to the Middle East... c'mon guys... if you gotta be somewhere, don't be a pussy. Don't be someone else's watchdog.

No comments: