Friday, April 14, 2006

Beliefs

We do have questions about life. Why are we here? What are we supposed to do here? What happens after we die? Why does a cat always land on its feet? Some of us have found the answers to these questions in love, family, money, or work or something else entirely. Others have turned to religion and found what they sought over there.

It is quite natural to have these questions, even more so to be curious about the answers. Our time here is limited, so there’s a certain urgency to get these things out of the way. Religion, any religion, gets us there faster.

I do sense that the troubles we have nowadays come from trying to convince people that some answers - or means to get to them - are better than other ones. Again this seems to be an inherent characteristic of us humans. Our time is limited, and we don’t want to spend it all sampling all the different alternatives. Also we don’t want to be tempted by the alternatives, so we tend to block them out or otherwise disqualify them in a manner palpable to us. Given any question, everybody can come up with an answer. Everybody can dispute any other answer.

I personally cannot be bothered searching for all the answers until I found the one truth. Yet I would go for something that would be satisfactory, and be done with it. Furthermore I don’t need anyone else to share such a thing with me. You’re welcome to join, but you can also have your own way. At the moment I do not have need to be shown a more satisfactory way of life. Maybe I will never have. Anyway, if I want your input, I will ask.

No comments: