Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Generation Indifferent

As far back as I can remember my classes in high school were... uneventful. They were eerily quiet whenever the teacher asked a question. I guess there were maybe two or three people who always gave the answers (these are the guys/girls who always had the highest grades), but most people were silent. I guess I was one of them.

It's not that we were not smart, we all got through our mid-terms and tests and exams. Some of us even got the highest grades; I guess for most people in my class, it's not that we were afraid of the teacher or our peers. However I do think, I do believe my classes were very indifferent. We didn't care about our classes; it was something to get through until we got to do something personal. The teacher was someone who we tolerated, much less listened to.

In France the government nearly installed youth-labour laws that would make it easy for employers to hire and fire under-26-year-olds. Nearly, is the key word here, as the people revolted, rioted and got results. The law was nixed. The government was forced to listen to the people.

I don't see it happening in the Netherlands. If the classes I've been in are symptomatic of our current generation, then the government will have little trouble pushing the most innane things on us. And we will be too indifferent to do anything about it. In fact we would complain, and nag and sulk like little children... but ultimately we do nothing.

I don't think I should have the right to complain about something I didn't get, if I don't ask for it, or do something to get it. For me it's don't ask, don't get. So here's to me taking charge. Here's to other people picking up the gauntlet. The pond might be little, but big fish always look good in them. They're the fat golden ones swimming around calmly in the middle. That's a nice place to be.

No comments: