Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Democracy for consumers

I tend to agree with the statement - to paraphrase Winston Churchill - democracy is the worst kind of government, except for all others. Today is another day where this applies... I used my vote in the municipal elections, and feel it is slightly wasted.

The thing is I hate being subject to the whims and the stupidity of the majority. We've had that four years ago, and we're still paying for it. And I grow to hate that fact more and more everytime.

I've started to see myself less as a voter and more of a consumer. Just like we are able to choose (and pay for) our cell phone provider, internet provider, gas and electric company, our football team, car brand, we should be able to choose the government that represents us. I'm fully aware I need to pay taxes for the police,roads, the defense, infrastructure and so on. I'm fully aware that some business like pulling resources from the land, buying and importing goods takes effort that I would like to see others (and not myself) perform. And yet I shouldn't have to be subject to whatever the majority thinks is good for me. If things are not as I think they should be, I should be able to drop them and pick other options.

Maybe in the future (say a century or three) our allegiances to a government can switch as long as they serve our purposes. The most successful governments will be the ones being able to service the needs of the most people. It can be about ideologies, quality of infrastructure or beauty. What it certainly will not be is about nationality, or idiot voters. People get to decide what's best for themselves, without anyone to blame for bad decisions but themselves.

No comments: