Sunday, March 26, 2006

Swear me you never swear again

I don’t agree with the union against swearing and cursing. When I do something stupid, when I see something idiotic, or feel pain, sometimes the only thing that does justice to the situation, the only thing that’s fitting enough to finalize the situation, is a good hearty FU.

Some people get offended. That is not my intention of course, although sometimes my anger takes over and takes hold. And at that moment, a simple oh geez, good golly just doesn’t cut it. Or at least, it doesn’t for me.

Cursing and swearing is a release. A very powerful one at that. Part of it has to do with its bad nature. We’ve been taught that cursing is bad, and you should not do it. And that makes it part of the attraction. It is a discovery of boundaries of sorts, and serves to strengthen its powers of release.

Cursing and swearing is taught. It al relates to context, association, need and effect. I doubt we would have this rant if people cursed using acceptable, non-insulting vocabulary that has the same effect. Although maybe the very act of a curse is to be socially unacceptable. It’s supposed to be frowned upon. Swearing is supposed to insult, to hurt. It is a tongue lashing in every sense of the word.

Every situation must close at exactly the right tone and measure. For every event, there’s a fitting counter. Taking into account the context, the audience, the situation at hand, swearing may be correct. I wouldn’t go so far as saying that it is necessary. A better person, a calmer person would probably have not been in this situation, and thus doesn’t need to swear.

I have a freedom to feel and to express. This includes completely running my mouth if I feel like it. Just like with any other great freedom, it comes with great responsibility. I am unfortunately not strong enough to just take everything in stride, let me admit that. But sometimes a short five-minute outburst is better, than smashing all the cars’ windshields in the parking lot with a baseball bat. I have some self-restraint, but it is definitely not infinite.

No comments: