Saturday, March 11, 2006

Taxpayer Frustration

Okay, let's establish that I strive to achieve more with my buck as possible. Nothing comes for free, so some things need to be done and need to be paid for, as in taxes. I am all for paying taxes if you are able to, but only if they are useful taxes.

So for example anything to do with cleaning, road maintenance, police, building beautification I will happily pay tax for. I won't pay for stuff like that "I heart 80 km/h" campaign. That was just idiotic, unnecessary and ineffective.

And now you have to get your income taxes filled-in. First the government lops off an amount of cash off your salaries, and seemingly randomly assigns it to a bunch of policies, insurances, funds and specific sub-taxes. And next we have to tell our tax offices that we want that amount back, and more even. So we come up with all kinds of (fictive or real) justifications: mortgage, disabilities, educational services and so on. I do believe that everything we come up with to get our money back is just as random as the government's means to get it in the first place.

Life was much simpler when all I had, all I needed were my Matchbox cars.

No comments: