Monday, March 13, 2006

Justice for all

With Milosevic dead the question whether or not justice can be served, will not be answered. For many his death is seen as the easy way out. And yet, if the tribunal had judged on his death sentence, the end result would be same.

Justice is so hard to judge correctly. Always highly individual, always time-constrained, always valid but in a limited context. What one deems a fit punishment, another finds too light. Even the most stringent laws cannot cover all bases, and it seems that everytime some form of humanity (or a damn good lawyer) will make for some kind of exception.

Personally I look at each event on a per case basis. Sometimes ridiculing and sarcasm fits the bill, at other times kicking ass and taking names for years to come is the only thing that satisfies my feelings of justice. For me Milosevic is not and has never been a significant factor in my life, so I'm inclined to think good riddance. I'm sure that people for whom he was, might just have the itching feeling that they didn't get to exact their vengeance.

No comments: