Tuesday, March 21, 2006

The Next Generation

Nostalgia is a beautiful thing to make money from. The stuff you've liked and enjoyed as kid, is coming back today - at highly inflated prices. The wrestlers I used to root for, are coming back as legends. Old shows I used to watch on television are now available on DVD boxsets. I can't even tell how many times they've rehashed toys like Transformers, He-Man and GI Joe by now, and don't get me started on all the covers artists make on old 70s, 80s tracks.

The big thing is that kids under eight years old now are getting to discover our old favorites. It gives us twenty-somethings something to talk about with them. We relate better to them about these things, opposed to us with our parents... at least I can't remember that I've ever discussed the intricacies of Super Mario, or the philosophy of the Autobots and Decepticons with my father.

I think it's a good marketing trick to rehash all the cool stuff from twenty years ago for the market today. It's essentially killing two birds with one stone: you (re)capture the fans who were kids then, and now have jobs, families and hopefully wider pockets; but you're also introducing yourselves to a new generation of fans and generate revenue and demand in that respect as well.

All this gives me plenty of conversation material with my friends' kids (and eventually my own kids). That has to count for something.

No comments: