Thursday, March 30, 2006

Without victory there is only doubt

My most dominant motive has to be being right, and being proven right in the end. I happen to be extremely competitive when it's about things I value highly, like my way of life, my ideas, how I handle things. I will never submit that my ways in those areas are wrong. That doesn't mean I always need to win... no, wait, actually it does...

How I go about things involves taking a balanced stance. I do things differently from the mean, but I'm not polarizing too much. You could say it's weak not taking a formal stance. But again I'll do everything to win, and this for me is the best way. I feel I win a lot more battles, or rather a lot more battles fall in my favour because I have a balanced attitude.

And I am taking a stance, a stance of balance. My way is best. A balanced attitude happens to coincide with a lot of other people's attitudes, so I am in an ideal position to share, integrate and harmonize. Always wanting to be right forces me to be balanced, to be objective and to be fair.

My leitmotif is thus the source of my greatest strength, but also of my greatest weakness. Always wanting to be right makes me force the issue more often than I should. I refuse to take a loss, even when it's wiser to do so. I will go on longer, even if it's obviously not healthy. And going on too long eventually results in either phyrric (often more damaging than losing) or moral victories (only losers claim them)...

In essence all I claim is that wisdom does not determine being right. Achieving victory determines being right.

No comments: